Gingerbread cookies are one of the ultimate Christmas traditions for almost everyone. It can be an acquired taste; and I know not everyone like it. However making gingerbread is so easy, and making a family of gingerbread characters can be a fun activity to do with your children.
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Baking tray
- Grease proof paper or baking parchment
- Gingerbread man cookie cutter
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 115g chilled butter
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 beaten egg
Preheat the oven to 190ºC/gas mark 5/374F.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar.
- Beat the golden syrup into the egg; then add it to the dry ingredients.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Sprinkle a suitable surface with flour, and roll out the dough to approx. ½ cm thick.
- Cut out gingerbread shapes and place them on the baking parchment on the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes until golden and puffed.
- Cool completely and then decorate.